I guess it really isn't my second week yet of the Farmer's Wife QAL, but it is my second post. I think I'll try to post about my adventures as a quilty Farmer's Wife on Tuesdays from this point forward, because you all know how I love routines :)
Since my last FWQAL post, I've made four more blocks, and two of them required much seam ripping, one of them due entirely to my lack of caffeine. See, I like to wake up in the morning before my munchkin gets up, and have some adult time. That usually involves coffee, but this morning, I didn't get around to making my coffee before I sat down to sew up a block...and that led to lots of seam ripping.
Block #3: Basket
This block was an exercise in determination for me. At first, I was determined to attempt needle-turn applique. Then, realizing how shaky my hand-sewing work is and how little I trust my hand-sewing to actually hold something together, I decided to adapt and make this work for my machine. I had already cut the basket handle at a single strip of bias-cut fabric, so I ironed the heck out of it, then tacked it onto my block with my machine and matching thread. I think it worked out pretty darned good, all things considered, and I adore the fabrics.
Block #4: Basketweave
This is my first real rail-fence kind of block. I improvised this one a little bit - rather than cutting 12 different pieces of fabric as the templates required, I cut single strips of each of my three fabrics and then sub-cut them into the appropriate lengths after sewing the three fabrics together. Made this block super easy to put together and super fast!
Block #5: Batwing
I love the color scheme I picked for this block. I have never been a big fan of orange, but man, when you pair it with aqua, I really enjoy it! This block wasn't too much of a pain to put together, although I did have a bit of an oops with it - if you look really closely, one of the orange triangles is not the mirror image of the triangle facing it, oops! But I figure in the grand scheme of 111 blocks that no one will ever notice again, so I didn't change it.
Block #6: Big Dipper
This is the block I did this morning that I had to rip apart thanks to my lack of brain function. Instead of sewing the triangles together on the long side, this block requires you to sew them together on one of the short sides, but rather than thinking it through and laying the block out before sewing, I just started sewing the triangles together. The wrong way. I then had to unpick all my stitching and start over, and uttering several curse words. I like how this block turned out, ultimately, although it is awfully busy. I kind of like that about it, though.
In other news, I got a super funny fortune with my take-out dinner the other night...