My mettle was tested yesterday as I worked on quilting...and then unquilting...and then re-quilting my Star Crossed Stitch quilt. I thought with the sharp angles in the piecing that perhaps some pointy stippling would be interesting and I wanted to do something different. Never tried it before, but that's never stopped me in the past, so I went for it. I enjoyed it, but after about 10 minutes, I took a harder look at how it looked with the quilt, and it just wasn't working. Please excuse my horrible phone camera pictures...
Then, I sat on it. Walked away for a while, had a cookie, and came back. And looked again. And I still hated it. It wasn't that I hated the quilting itself, it was that the quilting just didn't feel like it went with the quilt. And for the very first time, I unquilted. It was painful. It made me painfully crabby. I kept wondering if I was being too much of a perfectionist and that perhaps I ought to have kept going. But then, as I was unquilting, I had a crazy, completely hair-brained thought. What about baptist fans?
Um...no. Baptist fans are quilted by hand, or by a long armer, I told myself. But somehow, the idea kind of took me over. I started trying to freehand draw my own, and they were...well...hideous. Then, I trucked over to Jo-Ann's to look for a circle ruler, figuring if I could make a template of sorts, perhaps I could manage to pull this off, and I lucked out.
I found a Circle Cut ruler, which is has a bunch of nesting half-circles, much like the traditional baptist fan, and I busted out my water soluble pen and went to work. After I traced my first row of fans, I went ahead and stitched them. It took a few curves before I started to get the hang of it, but I really enjoyed it. So I marked up the rest of the quilt and kept on stitching.
I'm about halfway done quilting now, and I'm super happy that I unquilted and trusted my crazy self. When I finish this and show you guys the front, I think it's going to be really cool!!!