Now that my Sapphire is safely at my dealer's for a thorough cleaning, it's time to get up close and personal with my new-to-me Juki. I spent some quality time with the owners' manual yesterday, and managed to get it threaded, with some 50 wt Aurifil, my favorite. I also wound some bobbins, which thankfully wasn't rocket science. Loading the bobbins, on the other hand, was a challenge, just because it's very different from the previous machines I've owned, but I think I've figured it out now.
I did a good chunk of paper piecing yesterday with the Juki, which was somewhat humorous - I've mentioned that this machine is fast, but I'm really not exaggerating! This can totally run away with you, if you let it, so I spent a bit of time trying to learn how to handle the foot pedal to manipulate the speed the way I wanted it, and I was able to get it worked out nicely.
I got started on my Doll Quilt Swap mini, which is forcing me to sort through my scraps. This will probably be my next pattern, with a few different block sizes included, so stay tuned for more of these blocks!
I started working on the March pattern for the Lucky Stars BOM, which I'm absolutely loving, in part because I'm forcing myself to use fabrics that are really precious to me. The gorgeous fuchsia Yuwa print came from Ayumi's Etsy shop, and I absolutely adore it. It totally makes this block sing.
That reminds me, I haven't shared the February block, which will be heading to all Lucky Stars BOM club members in just two short weeks! I love the exploding effect of this one, so it will be called the Expoding Star.
Also on my mind this week is on a nice little cover for this Juki, since it didn't come with one. I'm thinking of using one of the designs I'm not using for my Doll Quilt swap project to adorn my new cover, I just need to start picking out some fabrics for it. I see some black yard dyed Essex in my future...
Wednesday, January 16, 2013