I sure hope you had a nice weekend! I spent much of my weekend working on my Doll Quilt Swap project for my partner, and it's now officially finished. I am absolutely in love with the way it's come together, and I know I'm going to have a hard time sending it off, but at the same time, I'm really excited to send it to my partner. I sure hope that she'll like it!
This miniquilt is made up of nine foundation paper pieced 6" blocks, each block using nine different main colors, in three different fabrics. By my count, there's over 218 different fabrics in this 18" mini. I pulled from my scrap bins for all of the prints, and used Kona Ash and Kona Charcoal for the two grays.
One of my favorite parts about this miniquilt is the way the grays come together to form a star when the blocks are pulled together. I had a really hard time figuring out how to quilt this, but ultimately, I went with a simple outline around the wheels, which emphasizes those stars really well.
I bound this mini in Art Gallery Pure Elements in Caviar, which has a gorgeous sheen in person. It does a beautiful job framing the mini. I love working with those Art Gallery solids, they are just so soft and smooth.
I make a little label for the back, using a piece of fabric, some freezer paper, and my printer, and pieced it into the backing, but I somehow managed to foul up the year on the label. Darned 2012. The swap did start in 2013, so I suppose it's not entirely inaccurate, but still. I didn't realize it until Terri pointed it out on IG after I had started the binding, so I didn't change it. I hope my partner won't hate me for that!
name: Rainbow Wheel of Fortune
size: 18" square
pattern: my own, coming soon, called Wheel of Fortune, foundation paper pieced using 50 wt Aurifil
quilting: simple straight line outline in 50wt Aurifil in color 2024 (white)
fabrics: So many it's nearly impossible to list them all!
backing: Lucy's Crab Shack Plaid in Ocean by Sweetwater for Moda Fabrics
binding: Art Gallery Pure Elements in Caviar
I'm working on a pattern for this quilt, and much like in my Lucky Stars BOM, there will be two block sizes shared in the pattern, a 6" and a 12." I started on the 12" blocks at the Tampa Modern Quilt Guild meeting over the weekend, using one of the stacks of fabric I pulled last week for my Juki cover. Stay tuned for a pattern release some time next week!